One of the Development Trust’s current heritage projects is the Cameronian Memorial Sculpture. Plans are progressing well to create a memorial sculpture dedicated to The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) on a verge of grass beside the road adjacent to the Winston Barracks. The actual roundabout will be officially renamed ‘The Cameronian Roundabout’ in November this year. The memorial sculpture is expected to be erected in the spring of 2019, and along with the roundabout naming, will form an excellent tribute to the soldiers based at the Barracks and serves to highlight an important aspect of Lanark’s heritage as well as improving the visual aesthetics of one of Lanark’s main gateways for visitors.
In conjunction with the sculpture, we’d like to create a booklet with information on The Cameronians and their time in Lanark whilst based at the Winston Barracks. We’d like the booklet to include stories and photographs from local people who may have been living in Lanark whilst the soldiers were based here, may have relations in the regiment or may even have served themselves! We’d be particularly interested if anyone has photographs from a local lass marrying a Cameronian soldier!
Contact Eleanor McLean on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any stories, photographs or memorabilia to share relating to The Cameronians in Lanark.
Although local men from Lanark & Clydesdale had always served in the Cameronians, it was not until 1947 that the Regiment once again had a direct connection with Lanark. In 1936, £150,000 was set aside for the construction of a new headquarters for the Scottish Rifles. Building began at Lanark in late 1939 and the newly named Winston Barracks were completed by 1941.
The Cameronians did not take up occupancy until after the war, because until that time the Barracks were used by a number of training units. When they finally arrived in 1947 the Town Council unanimously approved that the Regiment be awarded the Freedom of the Burgh.